Pages

2010 IMC run

2010 IMC run
Mile 7 or 8, still feeling good


Sunday, August 7, 2011

The Taper, and apologies to Stephen Hawking

Ironman Canada in 3 weeks. My lack of training wishes it were 3 months. Can't do anything about that now, it's officially "The Taper".

With apologies to Cosmologists, one could say IMC is a black hole, and the taper the event horizon. Months ago, IMC seemed distant, light years away. Now, not quite visible, I know it's out there, I feel it pulling me in. It looms ominously, I'm caught in it's gravity, and there's no turning back. I'm on a collision course with IRONMAN.

From 3 weeks out I'm in the safety of the taper. Things still seem fairly normal. But with each day's dawn, I'm nearer to my fate. The taper will stretch my wits, and challenge my sanity. I'll feel lousy and out of shape. I'll reduce my training, and have extra hours each day, as if time itself were slowing down. Then I'll idle in doubt, anxiety, and temptation to do more.

It will peak in Penticton when I see the chiselled bodies of disciplined training. The figures fast and aero on machines of carbon. Runners fleet of foot, an effortless display of fitness. Like Hubble, I view the pure Universe of Ironman, seeing images of beauty and awe. "Starstuff pondering the stars" (Carl Sagan).

As a species we're on the shores of the Cosmic ocean, just dipping out toes. But we exist, we ponder our existance, and we seek to find answers.

What happens in a Black hole is theoretical; it's secrets revealed only from first hand experience. So too with Ironman Canada. Some secrets you'll discover, others Ironman Canada will keep. What you learn from Ironman Canada, is what you learn about yourself. And to find these answers, you'll have promises to keep, and miles to go, before you sleep.

No comments: